Tuesday, April 5, 2011

So what about today?

             No, this has nothing to do with former American Idol constestants :) Recently my wife and I have been discussing how we can get out of the house on time in the morning. Setting alarms earlier didn't work because the snooze button has a way of being SO attractive at 6am. And that's another thing. Why is it we think an extra five minutes is going to do ANYTHING but make us five minutes later getting out the door? You close your eyes and BAM there goes the alarm again! Ahem....anyway I digress lol Basically it all came down to motivation. And what was that motivation? Coffee. It does nothing for me but for Jo (Erin) it's the difference maker between choosing to hit that snooze or hit the shower. So, now we have found ourselves getting out of the door right on time.
            Now, like I mentioned before, coffee does nothing for me. I am not a fan of  the stuff and cannot understand how people can love something so much yet spend so much time and money making it taste like anything BUT coffee!!! I am personally thankful for having fully functional taste buds (which I am convinced coffee drinkers have long since given up)....just sayin' ;)  So when we pull up to Starbucks or Havalottajava or whatever, I typically just get a little breakfast sandwich because I figure, "Hey, I'm here. Why not?" But as I've been talking more and more about having a servant heart at our weekly gatherings it hit me. Shouldn't I be taking the opportunity to show love to others wherever I am? Even in the drive thru at Starbucks? So now I get my wife a coffee every morning AND whatever the person behind me has ordered. I never know who they are or what they ordered (eek) but I pray that just that little "blessing" lifts them up enough to see their day differently.
           To be completely honest, I do this for a totally selfish reason. I need my focus to be on loving and serving others. This is just one way I force myself to think of someone else and to not be able to get any notoriety from them. No, we are not rich or even well off. Some might say that it's because we're bad Christians who won't except the blessings from God. While comments like that send me on an emotional rollercoaster between being ticked at such an ignorant and off focus view of our purpose on earth, most of the time I find myself just feeling sorry for them. We will only sacrifice that which we do not serve. If we truly serve and love Jesus everything else is His to use as He sees fit. But if we love and serve money we will sacrifice everything else to hold onto it.
            So what about you? What about today? How will you serve or show love to someone? Do they need to deserve it? I would challenge us to bless someone today who DOES NOT deserve it ;) That bad waitress maybe? Whoever it is try to get away without being noticed or thanked even. In this way we are finding out how to live by the two greatest commandments....."LOVE GOD. LOVE PEOPLE."

No comments:

Post a Comment